Monday, March 4, 2013

Dawnguard angst

So I got Microsoft, points and bought the three Skyrim expansions. So I'll do one at time, starting with the first one, Dawnguard.

So in Dawngaurd you are the the same character you made in Skyrim and get asked one way or another to join the Dawnguard. On my original save game I was invited by one of the members. This time around a guard decided to mention it while I was trying to find where the hell the blacksmith went.
So I go there and talk about how I like killing things, including vampires. He then changes from not liking me that much to loving me like I'm his long lost child, hands me a crossbow and says get to it. I forgo the crossbow, since it's shit compared to a daedric bow. And so I go to the cave and just start shooting things while sneaking.
Pretty much this
 Until I got bored, took out a warhammer and played golf with skulls. Then comes Serana.
Her in sunlight (which she'll bitch about)
So she's helpful, but not all the time. She says some funny lines, but at times it seems like she's a whiny teenager going to the dentist. She'd complain about the sunlight, then about the snow, then being in a town, then fighting things then OH GOD SHUT UP. She's a good example of the double edged sword of companions. She's helpful and sometimes witty, but a lot of times she gets knocked out or raises stupid things to fight for her. 

But back at the plot, since I decided to help kill vampires, I recruited people and got armor. Which at this point I threw in a barrel. 
Noticing a pattern about the items here?
The items aren't bad, just it's about the level of imperial leather. So it's a little pointless to use it at level 50 and on. And I didn't want to do the improved crossbow quest yet. I hate dwarven ruins with a passion. But that's not much of a problem . 
So I go on the Stop my Dad questline. 
And clearly it was her sweet roll, she bought it 
 And looking back it was pretty much daddy angst from her. Then suddenly Falmer angst. They're the last two brothers that aren't blind brutes, and I have to do an old falmer ritual to get to the castle to kill the last brother. Then I apologize to the good brother for killing off his race. Wait, what?!


I'm supposed to apologize to one of the two brothers for killing the other one, making their race extinct? But they're two men! They've been doomed for at least a thousand years to begin with. Do they not know how how the baby making process works? And even if one was a girl, the inbreeding after a generation or two they'd be too messed up to be worth saving anyways. 
I think that it should have gone the way of MvM personally. 
So Dawnguard was fun in some respects, but the story was relatively weak. I the plot holes are kind of large, but if you like playing as a werewolf the perks make it more enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment